MyDoc Fitness: Stretches to get your body moving
As part of [email protected], we will be sharing fitness related content by our fitness partner uFit.
Maire, uFit clinic physiotherapist, shares her top 5 stretches to get you loose and limber.
Fitness Tip 1: Hip rotations and lower back stretch
Lay on your back, put your arms out in a “T” position and bend both knees bent to 90’. Keeping knees and ankles together, gently rotate knees to one side and turn head to loot to the opposite side. Slowly de-rotate and repeat the same stretch to the other side. Move slowly and with an exhaled breath. Hold the stretch for 3-5 breaths and do 3 repetitions on each side.
Fitness Tip 2: Lower back stretches
This is a little more intense that the above stretch. Lay in the same position as above. But instead, take one knee into your chest and then slowly rotate that knee across your body and over to the other side. Try to keep the opposite shoulder down. Hold this position for 3-5 breaths and repeat on the other side. Do 3 times on each side.
Fitness Tip 3: Thoracic (mid-back) extensions
This stretch can be done over a foam roller if you’re flexible and over a rolled up towel if you’re a little stiffer.
- Lay down on your back and place the foam roller or rolled up towel behind you, around your mid-back (bra line for women and nipple line for men).
- Place hands behind your head to support your head and gently tuck your chin.
- Inhale to prepare and exhale to extend your mid-back over the foam roller or towel whilst maintaining your chin tuck.
- If using the foam roller, then stay in this position for an inhale, then on your exhale gently curl back up using your abdominals into your starting position. And repeat this exercise 3 times at this spinal level.
- But if using the rolled up towel, then stay in this extended position for at least 1 minute with arms rested on the floor and take nice big deep breaths. Then place hands behind head again and curl back up into a seated position.
Fitness Tip 4: Hip flexor stretches
- Kneel on one knee on an exercise mat, or cushion if you’ve any knee problems.
- Tuck your tailbone under as if tightening your butt.
- Stretch up the same-sided arm up to the sky and feel a stretch down through the front of the thigh and hip.
- Hold for 3-5 deep breaths and repeat on the other side.
Fitness Tip 5: Glute stretch – seated
- Sitting upright on your chair, cross your ankle over your opposite knee and pull close to your hip.
- Straighten your back again and then lean forward into the stretch.
- Hold for 3-5 breaths keeping back straight. Repeat on the other side.
To read more healthcare and health-related content visit our blog here. To find out more about [email protected], please visit our website to speak to our team.
This post was originally posted on uFit’s blog.